Sunday, July 1, 2012

originality

From the beautiful site: steep street
I am really excited to say that I may be involved in another art fair the first week of August (!!!). I have been trying my hardest to get back into the groove of creating, however it isn't as easy as it sounds. After five long years of having my studiomates around to bounce ideas off of, my little studio here is feeling a bit lonely. 


I met with my good friend Kelly yesterday to drink some cold beers in the park, and of course we got to talking about design. We both are very driven to work with our hands and we continue to throw around the notion of further collaborations. But we began discussing how to keep going and how to stay true. I see a lot of crafters jumping on bandwagons and following trends, identifying what sells and what doesn't. I guess you could call it selling out, but I'm talking on a very small level: crafters like me who are trying to find a voice but also want to make a dime doing it. Can you, as a crafter, justify recreating some pieces you saw on Etsy or at Anthropologie ( and that is a whole other box of worms that I will open at another time) because you know they will sell? 


And this is where I find myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment